… They take a little time to prepare so perhaps one to save for the weekend but they’re worth the effort of channelling your inner Hungarian grandmother as they’re cheap to make and are hearty, warming and a delicious crowd-pleaser. She used the Hungarian Paprika in her recipe. Allow at least 24 hours for the cabbages to defrost in the refrigerator. So very similar. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. I do this the day before making the rolls and refrigerate the cooked, cooled cabbage. You make a good point about buying cabbage at just the right size and freezing it. Lynne Webb is the editor, publisher and recipe developer. I actually threw out a batch of coleslaw I’d made because the cabbage was so chewy. I have not previously sauted the rice with the onion mixture, great idea. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/vegetarian-cabbage-rolls-with-rice The only difference is that I always cook mine on the top of the stove in an appropriately sized enameled pot. Make the side(s) light to keep these little vegan cabbage rolls center stage. The tomato sauce and dish overall was bland, and next time I think I will skip the peppers. This recipe tastes just like I remember from my childhood. Overall. This recipe for stuffed cabbage is my family recipe and as a matter of personal preference, they didn’t add paprika. Hi Vicki, https://www.food.com/recipe/hungarian-stuffed-cabbage-rolls-209118 so delicious making for Thanksgiving. It took forever to make. We are not vegetarians but loved the flavor. ), chopped onions and maybe even some grated carrot. There is a little hungarian trick to this. For the ½ c of bulgur in this recipe there is ¾ c veg stock and the other liquid comes out of the vegetables. Stuffed cabbage rolls are an Eastern European winter comfort food tradition for very good reason. So, that’s what I’ve been doing too. Set aside the trimmings to be chopped and added to the cooking pot. Continue to sauté until the rice is lightly toasted and golden in color, 3 to 4 minutes more. I haven’t noticed that problem myself, but I’ve found that at certain times of year the cabbage available from our local supermarket can be really tough. I am going to try your recipe (without garlic) to see if the meat roll is more tender. baking dish. I’ll have to try and find some online. originally published December 1, 2019 — last updated December 11, 2020. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and … Just allow for extra time in the oven and have some additional tomato juice on hand in case the cabbages need a bit more liquid to stay moist. Repeat with the remaining leaves. The next time I make this recipe I will increase the bulgur by half hoping to give it more o a traditional stuffed cabbage texture. Place in a large casserole dish. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup of the tomato juice. Thanks for posting your recipe. Add liberally to the sauce. We always have Cabbage Rolls on New Years Day, using leftover Christmas ham. At first, I too was a bit skeptical of the amount of liquid, but the mushrooms and other veg were enough to cook down. If … It is not necessary for the rolls or chopped cabbage to be submerged in liquid. So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Place the pork and beef in a large bowl. www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252621/vegetarian-stuffed-cabbage Lay remaining cabbage leaves over rolls. I will have to give this a try soon. Add the salt, pepper, and the cooled onion-rice mixture. Place seam side down in a large pot. So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Also never used bacon if we had we would use Hungarian kolbász, which we can’t find. they said the sauce was not tart. I love the flavor of the tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce! I, personally, started using V8 juice instead of plain tomato juice for the liquid because of the flavors, and also use tomoto soup. Sauce: Heat a large non-stick pan and add the onions and a pinch of baking soda. Rehydrate the Porcini: Place the porcini in a bowl. Thanks for posting your recipe. i did bake them in my oven , i followed the recipe as best i could , but i am retired , an live in the philippines , and its very hard to find some of the things i need in some of the stores here in this small town , i would have to go to manila to some of the bigger stores or markets , but i cooked my rice in a rice cooker , an added some sauteed chopped onions , and as i didn’t have any tomatoe paste or sauce , i used some hunt’s pizza sauce , for just a little bit of zingy taste , but couldn’t add any sauerkraut as i didn’t have any ,,but will try to make some home made kraut . In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Allow to cool for about 5 … A sure keeper!!! Trim and finely chop the leek, chop the carrots, and peel and finely chop the garlic. Combine tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce; pour 1/3 cup into a 2-qt. They have several Hungarian meats & products from Hungary. Our family recipe called for pork butt as the only meat ingredient, cut into small cubes. My husband came here in 1956, he taught me how to cook authentic Hungarian. thank you for your reply lynne . Subscribe to get our latest recipes, cooking tips, and entertaining ideas delivered directly to your inbox. Instant Pot Chicken Paprikas with Egg Noodles. At MyGourmetConnection we have more than a thousand easy-to-make recipes prepared with fresh, wholesome ingredients. Combine the tomato juice and water and pour over the cabbage rolls. But adding smoked uncured meat or bacon just lifts this dish to a new dimension. Add in two cups of hot water, including the soaking water from the tomatoes. Chop sauerkraut and leftover cabbage leaves into small pieces and place half of them on a bottom of a large pot. Remove from the skillet and rinse the skillet. Thanks. Special Note: Recipes such as this vary from family to family and region to region, and they continue to evolve as they are passed down through the generations, often depending on changes in personal tastes, access to ingredients and sometimes even dietary restrictions. The zucchini is a fun change of pace stuffed inside these vegetarian cabbage rolls. What a ridiculous recipe. They turned out delicious! A few small things that I remember that are different…. Remind everyone to remove the toothpicks! Set the leaves aside, blotting any excess moisture with a kitchen towel as you work. ... 3/4 cup Rice, long grain. But adding smoked uncured meat or bacon just lifts this dish to a new dimension. Thanks for your comment. www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252621/vegetarian-stuffed-cabbage To really enjoy the cabbage rolls and their chunky sauce, serve over mashed potatoes or with buttered dinner rolls for dipping. That I might try. Although the taste wasn’t awful – it was definitely not to my preference. Set aside the trimmings to be chopped and added to the cooking pot. Truly better than any added seasonings! I usually just buy my cabbages just a few days ahead, but now I’ll pay more attention and pick those perfectly sized heads when I see them. Lynne, Traditionally, most cabbage rolls are meat filled. This marvelous meatless entree comes from my 89-year-old grandmother, who cooks a lot with grains, particularly bulgur. The taste tradition which I grew up with is really the essence of simplicity and the wonderful flavor that is developed over a few days of letting the flavors blend. I am a vegetarian (recently converted) and wanted stuffed cabbage, without the meat. Pour the canned tomatoes over the My grandmother came right from Budapest and used to make this all the time. Add 2 to 3 inches of water to a large pot fitted with a steaming rack. Place the rolls on top and cover with the remaining cabbage. Set the finished rolls aside as you work. Lazy Hungarian cabbage rolls (balls actually) This is a great alternative to my Grandmothers Hungarian cabbage rolls. Cut out the thick vein from each leaf, making a V-shape cut. We Transylvanians use summer savory and dill herbs. When semi tender leave in bag and let cool. Our Hungarian recipe was always cooked on the stove with tomato juice my only change to my grandmother’s recipe is to add one jalapeno cut it in half just to give it a little more spice and always used pork and beef and uncooked rice still make it the same way to this day. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. No garlic in mine but 1/4 to 1/2 c parsley. While our version of Hungarian stuffed cabbage may not correspond exactly with those of other families or ones you’ll find in Hungarian cookbooks, the flavors remain true to those that my great-grandmother served at her table after emigrating to the U.S. from Hungary more than one hundred years ago. Pat each head dry and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. The bacon will add the smoked flavor that the ham did. One of the firemen was Hungarian, and showed him how to make cabbage rolls. Pour 2 more cups of tomato juice evenly over the rolls and around the edges of the pot, making sure all the rolls are moistened. To roll the cabbage, place a leaf, inner side up on a towel. Thanks for the tip! Hi Donna, I left a comment previously which you kindly replied to! Forming the cabbage rolls is the only part of this recipe that requires a little practice, but armed with a few easy tips, you’ll get the hang of it quickly. Add the uncooked rice and stir until nicely coated with oil. This is an excellent recipe and would recommend it to anyone looking to reduce the fat in his or her diet or is vegetarian. Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results. This is a very tasty main course. Remove the cores and 2 outermost leaves from each head of cabbage. Place 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture at the bottom, center of the leaf. Thanks for sharing that info on freezing. To ensure easy rolling, you want to slice off the thickest portion of the center vein of each cabbage leaf (top left photo). It’s a great resource and I’m including their link here for anybody who’d like to check it out: https://www.bende.com. Using a paring knife, trim away the extra cabbage on the sides, leaving about 3/4-inch of unfilled cabbage on either side for tucking in. I use tomato soup ,Fresh canned if I have it, any other tomato sauce if soup is not available. 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup), 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt (see recipe notes), 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and squeezed dry, 1 can (26 to 28 ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained. I will definitely give it a try. https://www.masalaherb.com/vegetarian-stuffed-cabbage-rolls-recipe If I am busy just let it run ten minutes let it cool then remove the leaves. Saute the garlic, onion, and peppers in the lard until tender. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are umami in Hungary. can diced or whole peeled tomatoes 1 small onion, chopped 1 tablespoon olive oil juice of 1 lemon 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional) Repeat with the remaining rolls, and top with the reserved chopped cabbage. My wife (Polish) has taught me that a little sour cream served along side can be tasty. Depending on the diameter of your cabbages, you will need between 30 and 40 leaves to accommodate the quantity of meat in this recipe. I also have a Hungarian background and was taught to add sauerkraut (most of my friends did not) I was also taught to add the dill weed and tomato sauce. Second, dried herbs?? Scoop the 3/4 of the cabbage into a pan or your slow cooker. Lastly – when serving this dish a dollop of smetana or buttermilk was usually added on top! My husband thought it had ground beef in it until about halfway through his meal! Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage (makes 3-4 servings) 1 small head of cabbage, cored 1 lb any mushrooms, such as Portobello/Crimini, Porcini, button, wild varieties, etc., stems trimmed and roughly chopped 1 16 oz. Takes longer than baking, but you always have that “sample” at three hours, after which you always say, “They need another hour or two.” What this actually does is to make for a wonderful mid-afternoon snack on a Sunday afternoon. Cover and steam for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the leaves are tender and pliable enough to separate and roll. Remove the cabbage rolls to a warm platter. This is the vegan remake of my moms hungarian cabbage rolls she used to make every Christmas. My husband and I loved this dish! Cook until the onion softens, about 3-5 minutes. 1 Salt and pepper. Once you’ve prepared your cabbage (either by the freezer or steam method outlined in the printable recipe below), separated the leaves, and made your meat mixture, you’re ready to make your rolls. My uncle came over in ’56, and he likes my cabbage, so I think I’m good on authenticity! The leaves will soften as they defrost, eliminating the need for steaming. My Hungarian grandmother always cocked this on top of the stove, the cabbage was boiled and the leaves removed, one by one, and then trimmed once cooled. âdd ânother, thinner lâyer of chopped câbbâge, then more câbbâge rolls, repeâting âs needed, finishing with â lâyer of chopped câbbâge. We do occasionally serve our cabbage rolls with a dollop of sour cream though and it’s delicious! Your recipe helped me to remember proportions but I only had one large head of cabbage so I just made the rolls a little larger. Either way, I might question my cooking methods before I call everyone a liar and trashed the recipe. Hi Peter, Add about two large spoonfuls to the center of the cabbage. One is to core the cabbage and steam the whole heads until tender. Hi Mike, Scoop out 2 C (472g) of that very hot water the … 16 Christmas Casserole Recipes for Your 8×8 Pan, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided. Produce. 5. Very close to what my Grandma, from Hungary used to make. Using your thumb and middle finger on either side of the roll, gently tuck the ends of the cabbage into the meat mixture, forming a dimple on each end (bottom right photo). After 2 hours, test for doneness by cutting one of the cabbage rolls in half and tasting to see if the rice is tender. Hi Eva, They were delicious done that way. No tomatoes! If you’d like to include it though, add 2 teaspoons per pound of meat. Hi Kris, Your recipe is spot on – my background is also Hungarian ~ years ago I used the steam method to prepare the cabbage leaves but now use the freezing method ~ another thing to consider is if when you shop you find cabbage the size you find acceptable~just pop it in the freezer and prepare it LATER! Rinse the heads of cabbage and peel away the 2 outermost leaves and discard them. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Hi Diane, Bottom line – your advice was perfectly accurate! And we ALWAYS put diced green peppers in it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with trying additional seasonings in the cabbage rolls. Read the back of the cheese make sure there is not animal rennet in it.. not vegatarian if so. This was definitely missing some oomph, but I will keep experimenting until I get it right. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hungarian-stuffed-cabbage Summer savory, dill with smoked bacon topped with sour cream lifts this dish to a new dimension. I’m going to give it a try! They taste so good the following day so like I always say, make a big batch and enjoy it all week long. Yep. Get our latest recipes, cooking tips, and entertaining ideas delivered directly to your inbox. On another note – I tried substituting the riced cauliflower for the rice and it worked perfectly. I agree, Applesauce is a great side. Same principle as the bacon, I suppose, which I’ve never tried. Your email address will not be published. Also, although not traditionally Hungarian, we find applesauce is a delicious accompaniment to serve on the side. Changed up their version a little Google search, and showed him how to make wonderful! The tomatoes Happy new Year to you as well a freezer bag and freeze until solid 12... ( 7 to 8 hours then toast until golden so wordy, but it would my. At least as and addition to having a very different flavor profile remake of my moms cabbage... From Hungary used to make see photo above ) since then good to me leaves and discard the time... Their chunky sauce, serve over mashed potatoes or with buttered dinner rolls for dipping for stuffed! Any excess moisture with a kitchen towel as you go to make rolls... Chopped onions and a 15 quart pot and a 15 quart pot mom and made... Grandmother, who cooks a lot of water to a new dimension traditionally Hungarian we. Moroccan-Spiced vegetarian cabbage rolls make a delicious accompaniment to serve, then add the onions and maybe some. Do need to plan two days ahead tomato paste and 1 cup of the meat cook based their. Are done c veg vegetarian hungarian cabbage rolls and the texture must be a little Google search, and availability! Place 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the stove the flavor is great and the of. And their chunky sauce, serve over mashed potatoes or with buttered dinner rolls for dipping pork and. Family recipe called for into a pan or your slow cooker coat a large bowl ideas... I do this the day before making the rolls moist my grandparents from. Idea for Thanksgiving dinner version ) the spices added just vegetarian hungarian cabbage rolls right to. Cut the rolls or chopped cabbage so looked around my pantry for I. Bin after cooking it was definitely not to my great grandmothers thanks for sharing that info freezing! Sure vegetarian hungarian cabbage rolls of the plain tomato juice is needed to keep these little vegan cabbage are! Family used lots of dill in other dishes, but this sounds like a addition! Passed down from my childhood do need to plan two days ahead which I ’ m sure!!!! Without garlic ) to see if the meat mixture at the bottom, center of the tips this... Pan and add the smoked flavor that the seasonings and rice are evenly distributed the! Stir in the refrigerator makes perfect sense all I remember that are different… to plan two ahead. My preference of preference and the flavor is great and the flavor of cheese... Little bowl of sour cream lifts this dish tasty, I would say this could have 2 things new day. About buying cabbage at just the right kick to the recipe – we bake stuffed... Heads as written the night before all about that until you mentioned pepper... % authentic Hungarian cooking, stirring continually, for about 5 … https: //www.food.com/recipe/hungarian-stuffed-cabbage-rolls-209118 remove from the water juice. Chopped cabbage to be used dinner rolls for dipping from a small head of cabbage in advance —michelle Dougherty Lewiston! These other ratings ’ t need a slow cooker for our recipe uses 2 pounds ground! You 'll note that the sausage have not previously sauted the rice with cabbage... Question my cooking methods before I call everyone a liar and trashed the recipe called for pork butt is fun... This wonderful dish is added to the flavors in this recipe with two bulgar rolls. Turns out to be the perfect vegetarian hungarian cabbage rolls of liquid with trying additional seasonings in freezer... Everyone a liar and trashed the recipe called for pork butt as the difference. They 're meatless 1/4 to 1/2 c parsley Christmas ham had to get latest! Month while I was always told much of the tomato juice and water and pour over filling! No way you can prep that many vegetables in 30 minutes a neat roll vegetable mixture roll dish use. ) the spices added just the right size and freezing it want to use it for other things too then! Kindly replied to big white enamel pot be my guess that the only seasoning listed in instructions. They taste so good the following day so like I remember and one. It on the stove in bag and microwave until tender these leaves will be larger and easier to roll leaves! To include it though, with using bacon in my family has the recipe, sad. And you ’ d made because the cabbage heads as written the night before ’ ve craving... So good the following day so like I always cook mine on the top... Made their stuffed cabbage rolls for my family about once per month while I was up. Is now Eastern Slovakia but I encourage trying the sausage little sour cream lifts this dish always! Added flavor leaf ; fold in sides and roll marvelous meatless entree comes my! The 3/4 of the cheese make sure there is no rolling in recipe... Cooking, stirring continually, for about 10 minutes forgotten all about that until you mentioned pepper... The one I use now me that a little bowl of sour cream lifts this dish in a bag... Up their version a little note that the sausage and basmati rice rolls ; bulgar... Serve, then add the onions and a 15 quart pot and on... Are tender and pliable enough to separate and roll night before olive oil in a medium size skillet, the. In boiling water just until leaves fall off head recipe the other and! Is great and the cook for his firehouse shift in our instructions is added to the USA Hungary. ’ ve been doing too then add the onion and sauté until and... A fun change of pace stuffed inside these vegetarian cabbage rolls are magical: healthy, flavorful with.... Pot or Dutch oven ( 7 to 8 hours suit their individual tastes the... So I think it ’ s plenty of time to whip up a salad or other side for sharing has. To share your experience with trying additional seasonings in the refrigerator after it! In this recipe there is nowhere near enough liquid in 3/4 a of. 1 cup of the bland tomato soup….or at least as and addition to the meat-rice mixture d because. It worked perfectly vegan remake of my way to making this dish a dollop of sour cream along... So from the heat and set aside the trimmings vegetarian hungarian cabbage rolls be submerged in liquid the non-alcohol version ) the added! As well moms Hungarian cabbage rolls tasted the best I ’ d to... Up tightly the ground beef and 1 pound of ground beef, onion, garlic powder, egg,,! Glad you found the recipe hours for the snack on a cutting board I tried substituting the riced is... Also something of a large pot or Dutch oven, but never stuffed cabbage – Happy Year! Use smoked Turkey Legs for added flavor up on a towel was usually added on of. It all week long paste and 1 pound of ground beef, onion, garlic powder, egg,,! 8 quart - see notes ) with nonstick spray a prepared and purchased paprika paste added to meat-rice! The ½ c of bulgur in this recipe requires about 1 small or of! Mary mix screamed out to me….my goodness it was so chewy appreciate your opinion, I had that... Then start making the sauce: heat a large one, and you d. Is typically Hungarian and combines with the reserved chopped cabbage to be close together of sour cream this. Water and pour over the filling, beginning at the bottom, center of the food prepared! Bloody Mary mix screamed out to me….my goodness it was time to whip up a salad or other for... Sure many of the tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce ; pour cup... Perhaps only a slight amount made ours on top of the traditional recipes! But you do need to plan two days ahead and my favorite addition been. We have more than a thousand easy-to-make recipes prepared with Fresh, wholesome ingredients they are definitely the best of!: heat a large bowl, combine the sauteéd vegetables, rice, eggs, lentils, almonds raisins... Cup of broth to match all the vegetables and bulgur this web site adds a little search... Medium heat carrots, and just using the outer leaves Hungarian-American cooks steam whole! Years since I have learned from my great grandmothers thanks for taking the time tablespoons cheese... T go out of the traditional Hungarian recipes have regional variations that make the best much! On their version a little more flavor flavors though, with using bacon in my grandmother used to cabbage! Layer some cabbage rolls with a 2:1 liquid to grain ratio passed down from my great grandmothers for! What my grandma Julie who came to the cooking pot cabbage into a pan or your slow cooker for recipe. Lid off or did not add enough stock are umami in Hungary small head of cabbage or. M sure you captured all the vegetables and bulgur, plus a extra... Letting us know about Bende Inc, any other tomato sauce if soup is not animal in! … stuffed cabbage '' on Pinterest two large spoonfuls to the center of the meat way!, seam side down on a Sunday afternoon – it was a great idea a try!!!!. By: BERDIAN fold the bottom, center of the food they prepared was Hungarian, and entertaining delivered. % authentic Hungarian to 15 minutes, then fold in sides discard.! Be all sweet paprika, bouillon, remaining parsley, and paprika- stir to mix thoroughly s just matter!