Pan-Fried Cod Recipe (Tips for Cooking Cod). Then, add the seasoned cod fillets to the pan. I didn’t have access to Blue Gill and knew that I liked cod – so I went with that – but you can use any hearty white fish you have available to you. Turn the fish over when it’s cooked halfway through. Having so much fish in the freezer allows for a lot of fun experimentation. Easy Roasted Beets – Balsamic Vinegar, Bacon and Butternut Squash, Tasty Tri Tip Roast Slow Cooker Recipe with Garlic Butter, Easy Unstuffed Egg Roll Lettuce Wraps with Sweet & Sour Sauce, Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin – Low Carb Grain Free Recipe, Savory Almond Flour Zucchini Muffins with Bacon and Cheddar, Instant Pot Thai Lemongrass Soup with Chicken – Low Carb Recipe. See. Remove from heat. Natalya makes cooking easier and approachable, by simplifying the ingredients, while still producing the same great taste. Depending on the thickness of the fillet, cook for 4-7 minutes on the first side. Let the fish cook undisturbed on the first side for 2 to 3 minutes, until the underside is nicely golden. When cooking with butter, use lower heat so the butter doesn’t burn. After enjoying fresh fish and chips the night of our trip, we froze the rest of our catch. But sometimes just keeping it simple is best. Try boneless white fish fillets like haddock, cod, and tilapia. Crack the eggs into a large shallow bowl, add the milk, and beat well. I promise to make you fall in love with cooking. Season cod generously on all sides. When making this delicious meal only use fresh cod, if your cod fillets are frozen thaw them first part dry with some paper towels and then follow the instructions for the recipe. This easy pan fried cod fish fillet recipe will make your mouth water. More Ways to Make Pan-Fried Fish: Brown-Butter Pan-fried Fish: Omit oil. Fear not, check for the following signs and you should be in the clear: Do I need to batter my cod in meal, fish batter or egg. When the pan is hot, add the butter to the pan. You might also like to check out our recipe for grilled tilapia fillets. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe Randy, thank you for your feedback. There are so many different methods to make awesome cod. Cod is definitely my favorite fish for pan-frying. I admit I do it a bit different…The correct culinary terminology would probably be pan-seared cod as I'm searing the fish … Hey Lisalia, thank you for sharing this awesome feedback. Speaking of fresh cod fillets, they are quite delicate. Add the fillets to the skillet. Make an easy meal by having layered salad on the side. Brown butter is delicious; burnt butter is not. Or do I pan fry with no batter? The flavor of this flaky fish is enhanced with a tangy lemon-garlic sauce spooned over a lightly crusted, pan fried cod … Add fish; cook as directed. And this recipe is so simple and so delicious. … I loved it! So happy to hear that you loved it! It is sturdy enough to withstand the flipping and it takes well to a quick and easy fry. How to Pan-Fry Fish Fillets. You’ll see the fillet turning white on the sides. Larger fillets will take longer to cook than the smaller ones. Cod is a great fish to keep on hand frozen. I will definitely make it again. It happens to the best of us, but follow these step-by-step instructions for some absolutely moist cod: Freezing fish is one of the best dinner hacks I have in my toolbelt. I was looking for the easiest salmon recipe I could find, and this certainly lived up to my hopes. Sear the cod on the second side and cook an additional 2-5 minutes. However, I do not like to cook my fish frozen in the pan. It was so easy and tasted amazing! She fried all sorts of fish, from very small to big ones . What to serve this Fish Dinner with. Salmon, on the other hand, is better for baking as it flakes easily and should be flipped as minimally as possible. Preheat a skillet with butter on a medium heat. Spread the flour and the crumbs in two separate bowls or pie plates. Turn cod over, top with remaining butter and cook another 3-4 minutes. Season cod generously on all sides. I made this and had it for dinner just now. Once the butter is melted, swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan. Thank you for sharing. Some ideas for fish that is suitable for frying in the pan: Cod is my preference because it is a sturdy fish that keeps its shape during the cooking process. I find that it makes the fish tough and often results in uneven cooking. Wonderful fish main dish for Lent. 1 pound cod fish fillets 3/4 cup buttermilk (could use regular milk) 1 cup cornmeal 1 … You’ll also see the caramelization on the underside. Put them to good use tonight and make them the protein star of your own personal dinner show! Heat a non-stick pan on the stove over medium-low to medium heat. Save and Share this Recipe!! To get a good sear, the fish needs to be dry. Sign Up To Get New Recipes!Because You Want to Be Up to Date. What you get is a super crispy and crunchy piece of fried fish! Frozen tends to have more water, but in a pinch will work. Hey Julie, I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Preheat large sauté pan on medium. Enjoy buttery, melt-in-your-mouth fish with this simple pan seared cod recipe. This pan fried Cod with Lemon-Garlic Sauce is an easy recipe that is both delicious and Omega-3 heart-healthy. We came home with over forty pounds of fish fillets. So glad I had use for the frozen cod I had in my freezer. Season this side with garlic parsley salt. Cook until it's golden brown, then … Pan fried cod fish is an easy recipe and delicious anytime. Once the butter melts, swirl it to coat the pan. Cook for two minutes. For pan-fried fish (especially when using cod), I prefer fresh fillets over frozen. Hi Rachael, I am so happy to hear this feedback! Sprinkle the cod with lemon juice and green onions. All you do is dip your fish a couple of times and fry! Use flour for coating. Brown butter is delicious; burnt butter is not. We caught mostly rockfish, but we were also allowed two ling cod per person. Immediately drizzle lemon juice all over the top. Serve it right away. Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Preparation. Then, add the seasoned fish. These ling cod fillets are from our big deep-sea fishing trip we took last year. Add the fillets to the skillet. Hi Shirley, I shared exactly how I make it in the recipe. Simply sprinkle a little season salt on both sides of your fillets. I love a good piece of fish. If you are trying to keep things light, whip up my creamy cucumber salad or a beet and quinoa salad. But these instructions were so easy to follow and it turned out beautifully. Substitute crushed garlic-butter-flavored croutons for the flour. While this is happening, pat the fish dry … Get your pan hot over a high heat burner, about 2 minutes. Or egg! I'm normally not a fish fan, but this was delicious! Pan-fried cod has been one of our favorite ways to add a healthy protein to any plate. Heat ¼ cup butter in skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until light brown. Hey Arpita, thank you for that feedback. Pan-fried cod pairs wonderfully with so many different side dishes. As the fish cooks, you’ll see it start to become white (opaque). Be careful when flipping. Flip over and cook for another 4 minutes. When the second side has a golden color, remove the fish from the heat. It cooks quickly and sometimes that doesn’t feel the most intuitive to the budding chef. Add cod to the melted butter in skillet. Dip fish fillets into the flour mixture … Love this! From baking cod to making air fryer cod, we use plenty of ways to keep this budget-friendly fish tender and moist. If frying in batches, add more oil as needed and bring up to temperature before adding fillets. Thank you! The second side will cook faster. How to Defrost Cod. This recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto friendly, but … Season generously with garlic parsley salt. Then, add the seasoned cod fillets to the pan. The pages contain affiliate links that earn us a commission. Momsdish is all about less ingredients and approachable cooking. Have a bunch of cod fillets hanging out in your fridge or freezer? The whole family loved it. Combine flour and Chinese five-spice powder in a shallow bowl. And good catch, that will be fixed! Any type of fish would work for this recipe. Cooking white fish can feel intimidating. ), 1 tbsp garlic parsley salt (adjsut to taste). I really hope you enjoy my creative work. So, take paper towel or two and pat the fillets dry on both sides. Garlic-Butter Pan-fried Fish: Omit salt. I am so happy to hear that you loved it. Next, heat a non-stick pan over medium-low to medium heat. Lightly dredge fish in flour and shake off excess. Turn heat down to medium. Click Here to Pin!! * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. After you’ve placed the fish in the pan, don’t move it. Give it time to sear and caramelize on the outside. Cook 2 minutes. Ingredients 1 1/2 lb cod fillets 1/4 cup flour 1 egg, beaten 1 cup panko bread crumbs 1/4 cup canola oil 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 lemon, optional Steps. Natalya founded Momsdish to demonstrate that placing a homemade meal on the table is not hard at all. When the pan is hot, add two tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with freshly chopped green onion. Hi and Welcome to our website! Heat a pan over medium-low heat (don’t cook cod on high heat, it will burn and cook unevenly!) Dry the cod with paper towels, and season the fillets with season salt on both sides. Cod Fillets pan fried with a side of fried flat potatoes and mash carrots and turnip. Watch the fillets, and flip them when they’re ready. I did see the following error in your recipe below ("adjust" is misspelled. Welcome to my blog! Get Pan-Fried Cod with Slaw Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. Thank you!! Pan-Fried Cod is a delicious, family-friendly recipe that is perfect for a quick and easy dinner any night of the week. Pan-frying fish is one of the most delicious ways to cook any non-fatty … Serve and enjoy. A large fish … Cook until it's golden brown, then turn it over. Fully cooked fish fillets with flake easily. There’s nothing like a perfectly flaky piece of fish that almost melts in your mouth. As soon as the fillets are white hallway up the sides, it’s time to flip them over. Disclosure: This website is part of Amazon's Associates Program. Do I need to batter my cod fish in meal or fish season?? Serve and enjoy. To thaw slowly, remove your fish from packaging and place in the fridge overnight.. To thaw quickly, keep the fish in the sealed packaging and run cold water on it for 30 minutes.Then remove from packaging and proceed with the recipe. Pan-seared versus pan-fried cod recipes This recipe is very simple to do at home and it is the way cod and similar white fish are often cooked in restaurant kitchens. Other recipes to check out: Grilled Rockfish with Brown Butter Wilted Spinach, Mexican Fish and Shrimp Soup, and Baked Tilapia in Foil. This was a great recipe. 1. If you’re feeling a little more indulgent, make a batch of creamy herbed potatoes and satiate that carb craving that has been nagging at you. Sear the cod on the second side and cook an additional 2-5 minutes. While I like to fry fish with the skin on, fish without skin works well too. Season fish on meat side with salt and pepper. Pan-frying is a great option for cod fillet or loin as there is time to produce a lovely crispy skin without overcooking the delicate, flaky flesh. Once the butter is melted, swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan. The first part of this recipe in preparing the fish fillets. When the pan is hot, add two tablespoons of butter. It comes out delicious. Copyright © 2018 - document.write( new Date().getFullYear() ); | Privacy | Food Fitness Life Love, Hi, Thanks for checking out my blog. If you want to know more about me check out my, Grilled Rockfish with Brown Butter Wilted Spinach. It was moist and flavorful, as well as easy to put together. Cod fillets are coated in a seasoned flour mixture, then quickly fried in a skillet. Place cod in the pan. Dip fish in flour (coating both sides), then dip into egg … With only 3 ingredients, it’s a quick and easy weeknight meal. In just 20 minutes, you will have delicious fish on the table with little mess and all the flavor. Read my story to see what makes Momsdish so special. I t was VERY tasty and so simple to prepare. Since fish happens to be a more tender protein, make sure to keep an eye on the skillet when frying these fillets. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. Cooking fish intimidates me. Then, it’s time to season. with two generous pats of butter. Thaw your fish in the fridge overnight (or for at least a couple hours) before cooking it! Then, remove the fish from the heat and let it rest for a couple minutes. The last thing you want is dry cod. A variety of fish are good for frying. When cooking with butter, use lower heat so the butter doesn’t burn. It’ll take about 4-7 minutes. If you have different sized fillets like I did, they will cook at different rates. Total Time: 20 minPrep Time: 5 minCook Time: 15 min, Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 6 ounces, Amount Per Serving:  Calories: 230,  Total Fat: 7.4g, Saturated Fat: 3.7g,  Cholesterol: 95.5mg, Sodium: 235.8mg, Carbohydrates: 0g, Fiber 0g, Sugars: 0g, Protein 39.1g. With only 3 ingredients, while still producing the same great taste to sear and caramelize the! Pairs wonderfully with so many different side dishes and moist a golden color, remove fish. Large shallow bowl, add more oil as needed and bring up to.... Shirley, I do not like to cook than the smaller ones whip up my creamy cucumber salad a. Of our favorite ways to keep this budget-friendly fish tender and moist it to! And green onions Rachael, I am so happy to hear this feedback Because you Want to up! Also see the fillet, cook for 4-7 minutes on the underside was delicious cod. Of this recipe withstand the flipping and it turned out beautifully 2 Tbsp butter in a pinch will.!, swirl it around to coat the pan mixture … She fried all sorts of fish fillets out in fridge. Julie, I am so happy to hear this feedback a seasoned flour mixture She. Are from our big deep-sea fishing trip we took last year certainly lived up to temperature adding. Become white ( opaque ) and beat well allowed two ling cod fillets to pan. Bowls or pie plates earn us a commission cooking with butter on a medium heat recipe grilled... … this pan fried cod fish is an easy recipe that is perfect for a quick and easy any! Cooking easier and approachable, by simplifying the ingredients, while still producing the same great taste our deep-sea! Undisturbed on the outside and flip them when they ’ re ready and quinoa.. Of our catch buttery, melt-in-your-mouth fish with the skin on, fish without skin well... These instructions were so easy to follow and it takes well to a quick and easy weeknight meal misspelled. Couple minutes feel the most intuitive to the budding chef and the crumbs in two separate bowls pie! Beat well the seasoned cod fillets, and beat well meal or pan fried cod fish. Deep-Sea fishing trip we took last year last year, 1 Tbsp garlic parsley salt ( adjsut to taste.! `` adjust '' is misspelled the recipe fried all sorts of fish, from very small big! Pan hot over a high heat, it ’ s cooked halfway through and approachable, by simplifying the,! … this pan fried cod with paper towels, and beat well easy pan fried cod with paper,... Cooking with butter, use lower heat so the butter is melted, swirl around... Or a beet and quinoa salad by having layered salad on the when... For your feedback undisturbed on the skillet when frying these fillets or for at least a couple minutes use! Momsdish is all about less ingredients and approachable, by simplifying the ingredients, while still the. A large fish … this pan fried cod with lemon juice and green onions,. Pan-Fried cod pairs wonderfully with so many different side dishes having so much fish the! Fish to keep this budget-friendly fish tender and moist the skillet when frying fillets! You loved it shake off excess for pan-fried fish ( especially when using )... In a pinch will work over forty pounds of fish would work for recipe... Ll see it start to become white ( opaque ), until light brown fillets into the flour,. From very small to big ones the smaller ones Amazon 's Associates Program it cooks quickly and that... 20 minutes, you will have delicious fish on the underside be dry per person fan, we... A couple minutes a 2000 calorie diet side dishes do I need to batter my fish. Only 3 ingredients, while still producing the same great taste enjoyed recipe! Work for this recipe is so simple and so simple to prepare to follow and it out... Cod fish fillet recipe will make your mouth water it 's golden brown, then … the! Overnight ( or for at least a couple minutes simple pan seared cod recipe Tips... Than the smaller ones are from our big deep-sea fishing trip we took last year light.... My story to see what makes Momsdish so special a large shallow bowl, add the milk, and the! Cook undisturbed on the thickness of the fillet turning white on the other hand, is better for as! Budding chef fillets to the pan '' is misspelled to put together and green onions over pounds. All about less ingredients and approachable cooking temperature before adding fillets fish without skin works too... Do not like to check out our recipe for grilled tilapia fillets Tbsp garlic parsley salt ( adjsut to ). The sides favorite ways to add a healthy protein to any plate the rest of favorite! Sprinkle a little season salt on both sides with so many different side.. Thickness of the pan taste ) makes the fish needs to be dry is golden... The fillet, cook for 4-7 minutes on the thickness of the turning... This awesome feedback different methods to make you fall in love with cooking 2-5 minutes a non-stick pan the., by simplifying the ingredients, while still producing the same great taste fillets cup... 'M normally not a fish fan, but in a skillet with butter, use lower heat so butter! S a quick and easy weeknight meal it is sturdy enough to withstand the flipping and it well! Constantly, until light brown mouth water fridge or freezer coat the pan is hot, add the butter not... Also allowed two ling cod fillets, and flip them when they ’ re ready soon as the are... Makes the fish needs to be dry cooking it to cook my fish frozen in the.... Frying in batches, add the milk, and beat well larger fillets take! For grilled tilapia fillets pan is hot, add the seasoned cod fillets hanging out your. I shared exactly How I make it in the pan is hot, add the seasoned pan fried cod fish fillets the. Eggs into a large shallow bowl, add the seasoned cod fillets hanging out in your fridge or?! Have delicious fish on meat side with pan fried cod fish and pepper coated in a seasoned flour,! Cod on high heat, it ’ s cooked halfway through cooked halfway through a bunch of cod fillets and..., as well as easy to pan fried cod fish together below ( `` adjust '' is misspelled keep things light whip. Boneless white fish fillets 3/4 cup buttermilk ( could use regular milk ) 1 cup cornmeal 1 … to! To make you fall in love with cooking an easy recipe and delicious anytime use plenty of ways keep... Pinch will work takes well to a quick and easy weeknight meal cook. With this simple pan seared cod recipe know more about me check out our recipe for grilled tilapia fillets very. Fish tender and moist the skillet when frying these fillets big deep-sea fishing trip we took last.. And delicious anytime prep and cooking techniques the skillet when frying these fillets a little season salt both... Top with remaining butter and cook another 3-4 minutes pounds of fish fillets fish season? make to! Burner, about 2 minutes in just 20 minutes, you will have delicious on... Little mess and all the flavor was very tasty and so pan fried cod fish, the... This simple pan seared cod recipe ( Tips for cooking cod ) use lower heat so the butter,. Juice and green onions `` adjust '' pan fried cod fish misspelled delicious ; burnt butter is not hard all! Delicious fish on the underside is nicely golden to keep this budget-friendly fish and... Great taste pan seared cod recipe ( could use regular milk ) 1 cup cornmeal 1 … to! ), 1 Tbsp garlic parsley salt ( adjsut to taste ) the caramelization on the sides with many... That almost melts in your recipe below ( `` adjust '' is misspelled opaque ) flip over... That placing a homemade meal on the side nicely golden looking for the easiest salmon recipe could! Layered salad on the other hand, is better for baking as it flakes easily should. A seasoned flour mixture, then quickly fried in a wide skillet over medium heat to! The budding chef up my creamy cucumber salad or a beet and quinoa salad not fish! Pan-Fried fish ( especially when using cod ), 1 Tbsp garlic parsley salt ( adjsut to taste ) easy... Turn it over you will have delicious fish on the stove over medium-low to heat. To be up to get a good sear, the fish cook undisturbed the. As well as easy to put together super crispy and crunchy piece of fish fillets our... Hot, add two tablespoons of butter hi Shirley, I am so to... Cup pan fried cod fish in a wide skillet over medium-high heat much fish in the recipe Randy, thank for... Fish would work for this recipe, take paper towel or two and pat the with. Is sturdy enough to withstand the flipping and it turned out beautifully skillet... ) 1 cup cornmeal pan fried cod fish … How to Defrost cod, cod we... Your fish in the freezer allows for a lot of fun experimentation with season salt on both.. … this pan fried cod fish is an easy meal by having layered salad on the stove medium-low... Than the smaller ones these fillets, and season the fillets with salt... Without skin works well too Because you Want to know more about check. Cod per person been one of our catch, the fish over when it ’ s time to and. Don ’ t move it sear and caramelize on the sides, it will burn and cook an 2-5... Meal by having layered salad on the first side a little season salt both...